Saturday 1 April 2017

Anxiety, Anxiety and More Anxiety.

Share it Please
The hunt for employment is a dog eat dog world and prior to now, I thought that the shade and two-facedness was only between colleagues. What I’ve discovered since graduating is that the worst culprits of all of that are those in management positions. Whether it is a status related trait or just the type of person that fits those positions, I don’t know. What I do know is that having a successful career after university is not as easy as it was ever made out to be – especially a career in childcare, I’ve found. Nursery politics are, quite frankly, a pain in the backside and not worth the trouble. I am not the type of person to befriend management with the goal of getting promoted because I believe in earning recognition for your work and for doing it successfully.

My problem right now is that I have seemingly wasted three years of a degree and two years of postgraduate experience in a sector that practices a quick rotating door, fake friendships and the constant “you’re a glorified babysitter” comments. My friends say that I should find something in retail or an office, but the truth is that that is all I applied to for six months and got nowhere. I love to work with children and to influence their growth and teach them things. It just seems that the stars are aligning against me. Things like this make me think what is truly wrong with me that I am so unlucky in work, which is no way helpful for my mental health that is already suffering. I have recently been put on new medication after having a slip and taking myself off the last lot for six months. I have learned my lesson in that sense, as the last six months have been haywire.

Next week I have to visit the job centre for the first time in my life to discuss my options and not only is that degrading to my need to provide for myself, but it is a setback for my anxiety levels. Is the person I speak to going to judge me? Are they going to think that there is something wrong with me? Will I be laughed away and told to act like an adult? Will my friends and family be better off with me not being around? Accepting help is not in my nature and never has been, but perhaps it will be better than dealing with things by myself.

The thing with mental health issues is that a lot of the time you know how you should feel, but making yourself feel that way is impossible. I need to keep telling myself that I am not a failure.

Because I am not.

I am a university graduate.
I am a childcare practitioner.
I am a hard worker.
I am a daughter, a sister and a friend.


And I deserve better than to beat myself up over the opinions of those I do not encounter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow